Since in the next six months or so everything will be handover to HCL, this is a good opportunity to review the existing licensing scheme for Notes/Domino, Sametime and Connections. In particular, the following points need to be considered :
- The use of CPU Monitoring Software (i.e : ILMT). Ideally each product should be able to monitor the resource allocated to each server without having to install additional monitoring software / server and this should be enabled by default.
- A flexible PVU & CAL Licensing (assuming HCL decided to continue using the PVU & CAL scheme) where you can adjust your server resource and the number of user you need on a monthly basis and be charged accordingly. See idea https://domino.ideas.aha.io/ideas/DOMINO-I-199
- If you are offering any "free entitlement", make sure that they did not cause any technical difficulties if customer decided to deploy the in "mixed-license" environment. For example Sametime Chat + Audio/Video or Connections Files/Profiles + Full License.
- If you can please simplify the variant for example Connections have multiple type of license depending on what additional component is installed.
- Make sure to be very clear on the side effect of each license type, For example : Domino Express means you cannot have > 1000 users, CEO means you have to buy license every employee that use a computer
- If you can, provide community edition of your software. If possible, provide an "official docker image" for softwares like Connections and Sametime that is very cumbersome to install.
Tinus Riyanto - Prisma Global Solusi