There are various factors which make it a pain to debug lotusscript/template code for a complex template like the mail template.
Some examples (adding/improving per the comments. Thanks! ):
1. Sort the member variable names of an object, so you don't have to browse the entire list to know the value of variable you are interested in. Cannot watch variables. Perhaps add SEARCH function.
When you open notesdocument.items variable, you see the item index ..[n] on left side instead of the item name. So even after sorting the member variables won't be ordered in terms of item names. Suggest to sort the field names within notesdocument.items.
2. Stop debugging does not work at times.
Sometimes the debugger halts on a line where no breakpoint has been set.
3. Cannot debug lotusscript within a dialog and have to use print statements
4. Give option to disable debugging into applications other than the one you started with! Or give a debugger runtime option to skip a particular db.
5. It would be excellent to be able to search the source code that you're debugging. For example, to set a breakpoint.
6. Debugger window/menu issues
i. The menu state of the debugger in Designer is sometimes wrong, e.g. when you turn it on in Designer, but turn it off in the client, Designer doesn't notice it's off.
ii. Sometimes you need to terminate Notes to disable the debugger. The menu options of the deubgger don't allow to close it/are grayed. Often when debugger is active, and I create a memo (because I forgot debug was on), the memo opens in the debugger client window instead of in Notes, and everything is locked up -- must terminate Notes processes.
iii. Occasionally, when starting debugging, the debugger grabs focus but doesn't open/come to the front. Clicking around in the client and Designer windows doesn't help. Alt-tab doesn't work. You have to select the debug window from the Windows task bar and then click on it. Something like that. It is, at any rate, the opposite of smooth.
7. Coloring to differentiate