Since you mention that removing WAS is a phased journey and support for Docker is coming, here is my thought on what a sametime admin has to do
- I have an existing Sametime A/V Enviroment. Once Docker image is available , how easy will it be for me to convert my existing environment to a docker based one ? If I have to engage a business partner again to do so then I might decide to not upgrade my environment since the cost cannot be justified.
- Once my environment is converted to Docker, how much effort I need to spent to update those server when new version come out ? Again I would rather not engage a business partner for a minor version upgrade.
- Even with WAS removed and Docker in place I will still have to manage multiple server. How do I deal with their startup / shutdown order ? How do I monitor their availability ? How do I get their statistics ?
- If there is a compelling reason to use cloud, how can I partially offload some of the servers (not all of course) to cloud ? What kind of cloud offering will be available ?
- On the opposite end, if I need to make my Sametime environment distributed across my sites how can I do so ? For example I might need A/V meeting between sites without having to route the traffic to HQ.
If you have any other ideas about what a sametime admin need, please comment and I will edit the topic to add them.
Tinus Riyanto, Prisma Global Solusi